Main Article Content
The purpose of this study is to analyze Moroccan TIMSS 2011 data using the multi-level approach in order to detect the entanglement of factors that influence the academic performance of students in the second year of college secondary education (grade eight ). The main question is, what is the influence of factors related to the individual characteristics and characteristics of the school attended on the performance of students in mathematics? This question can be answered in many ways:
1. Does student achievement in mathematics vary by school?
2. Is there a significant relationship between the socio-economic and cultural characteristics of the students and their performance in mathematics? the main question is whether the effect of socio-cultural variables linked to the family context (in particular family educational resources) tends to worsen when they interact with the contextual variables of the school. This raises the question of both the efficiency of schools and the equitable distribution of performance in mathematics. The question can be formulated in the following way: Does the effect of socio-cultural variables at the individual level increase with contact with socio-economic variables at school level?
3. To what extent do the contextual variables of the school (school climate, educational resources available to schools, etc.) have a moderating or amplifying effect on the relationship between the socio-cultural variables linked to the family context of students and academic performance in math?
4. And what are the determinants of the quality of academic performance defined according to TIMSS standards?
Added to this is the question of what has been the impact of the educational reform on the dynamics of school organizations and on the quality of academic performance.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
Bandura, A. (1994). Self-efficacy.In V. S. Ramachaudran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of human behavior.New York: Academic Press. Vol. 4, p. 71.
Ministère de l’Education Nationale, de l’Enseignement Supérieur, de la Formation des Cadres et de la Recherche Scientifique. Pour un nouveau souffle de la réforme de l’Education-Formation Présentation du Programme NAJAH. Rapport détaillé - Version projet Juin 2008.